Monday, November 9, 2009

Hello, Backbone, "How you doin?"



Thank you ER, for giving me something that I sometimes lack: a spine.
It's been helpful in more ways than just nursing.

I've gained clarity that I've really needed.

Things that I've lost sight of.

In the ER: I am now able to stand up for myself. I know when to ignore, I am better able to figure out when to question, I'm more of an advocate for my patients.

In personal life: I have always been able to stand up for myself. I am angered when people underestimate me. Being told that I'm malleable and "easily influenced" even if someone feels that way tells me that they severely underestimate me and they seriously overestimate themselves. I am much stronger than most people know. Part of that is from reading the "Ancient Art of War," which allowed me to keep my guard up, no matter what the situation. I am quiet when confronted in interpersonal interaction, which is often mistaken for weakness.
And I am certainly strong, in ways people don't even imagine.

Will is one of the people who has never underestimated me, which is why I love him so much.
In any case, I am happy to have found my spine again. And I am deeply happy that Will is back and here with me.
This time is a special one. I am living day by day, happily reveling in rejoining and rejoicing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, girl. It's Promise. I pathetically forgot that I had your blog bookmarked in my delicious acct, and haven't heard from you in a long time. But I read this post, and am so happy to hear of your latest musings and activities. I adore and respect what you are doing so much! Congrats on finding your spine, Your writing style is expressive and genuine.

Big Love, and bonecrusher hugs!

Promise
www.mylittlepail.com

niki said...

ditto on the comment above : )

i keep wanting to connect with you again, and tell you how much fun i had at symbiosis, and that i can't wait to run into you somewhere less in-uniform, and that your blogs/twatter/ramblings/musing have had a lot of impact on my day...so, yea. here ya go. keep splaying out your insight like a gutted fish and i'll keep pausing to think about what really matters!

keep on keepin' on!
tricky niki