Saturday, June 20, 2009

NCLEX done!



By the way, that's a photo of Mono Lake I took in December of 2008, which has nothing to do with my blog entry. It's just pretty.

So, I took the feared NCLEX-RN, which is the National Counsel Licensing Exam for Registered Nurses, and it's in the format of a computer-adaptive test.
What does this mean?
It means that the computer senses how well you are doing and gives you more difficult questions if you answer correctly. This feature would be all well and good, except that the minimum amount it takes to determine whether you can practice at entry-level competency is:
75 questions
The max? 265.
I think I would freak if I went to 265.
So you don't know when the computer determines your competency at 90% accuracy, you just know that it *could* shut off at 75, or the computer could decide that it doesn't know if you're competent at 75 and therefore you have to answer more questions. Yikes.
And it's not about getting questions right per se, it's about what level of question you get. Ugh.
Combine that with a bunch of over-achieving A students who like getting high scores, and you have a recipe for an anxiety disorder.
Around question 20, mine became insanely difficult, and the computer shut off at 75, which I was excited about at first, but also felt a little unnerved about.
"Did I pass? Or did I fail?"
I came to the point of not caring. It's done. I'll find out soon enough.

And bonus! Our transcripts aren't in yet, which means that we can't find out results with the Board of Registered Nursing in California. Yay. They won't release results until they know we've actually finished a nursing program.
Double bonus: California's not a "quick result" state anyways.

So, to avoid obsessive-compulsive searching for my name to pop up on the BRN site (it's our unofficial way of finding our license), I'm heading out, driving, to Montana where my honey is working as a producer for a show that's going to be aired next year.

The vacation has truly begun!

No comments: